Aviyal is a mix of different vegetables cooked in curd gravy, seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves. This is an essential part of any Kerala Sadya/feast. This dish can be a semi-solid side dish or made into a gravy. This is a very healthy dish and is best enjoyed with steamed rice.
This side dish is very easy to prepare. The only hard part is the cutting of vegetables. But once it is done, you can prepare this dish within no time. A perfect combo of health and taste.
2 Carrots (cut into 2 inch long thin pieces)
1 cup White Pumpkin (cut into 2 inch long thin pieces)
10 French Beans (cut into 2 inch long pieces and sliced horizontally)
10 Long Beans (cut into 2 inch long pieces)
1 cup Yam (cut into 2 inch long pieces)
1 Drumstick (cut into 2 inch long pieces)
1 Raw Banana (cut into 2 inch long pieces)
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Curry leaves for garnishing
2 tbsp Coconut Oil
1 cup Water
2 cups Coconut (freshly grated)
½ tsp Jeera/Cumin seed
3 – 4 Green Chilli
2 cups Curd (sour)
- Put all the vegetables (except white pumpkin) along with salt, turmeric powder and water in a Kadai and place it on high flame. When the water starts to bubble, reduce the flame, cover and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- Now add the white pumpkin and again cover and cook for another 5 minutes or till all the vegetables are cooked. They should not become mushy.
- Coarsely grind coconut along with jeera, green chilli and curd. Keep this aside.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add the ground coconut mixture into it.
- Mix gently so that the vegetables are not mashed. Let it cook for another 2 minutes or till the gravy starts to bubble.
- Switch off the flame and pour coconut oil on top along with curry leaves.
- Serve and enjoy along with steamed rice.
* I usually take the quantity of the ingredients as per my taste. So you can always adjust the spices as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting