A scone is a single-serving cake or quick bread. They are usually made of wheat, barley or oatmeal with baking powder as a leavening agent and are baked on sheet pans. They are often lightly sweetened and are occasionally glazed. The scone is a basic component of the cream tea or Devonshire tea. It differs from a teacake and other sweet buns, which are made with yeast. A scone is in some senses a type of pastry since it is made with essentially the same ingredients as shortcrust, though with different proportions of fat to flour. (WiKi)
It is originated from United Kingdom.
I had tasted scone once and somehow I didn't like the taste of it that I never thought to try it out at home. I had some left over fresh cream with me that I wanted to use it up. Didn't want to do the usual side dish, I wanted to try out a different dish.... as usual :) That's how I thought to try out an easy scone recipe... moreover, my little one is attracted towards cream buns these days... thought that this one would taste somewhat similar.
So here iam.... with an easy recipe for scones.... Try it out, you will like them for sure.
4 cups Self raising flour (check for the substitute here )
1 tbsp. Powdered Sugar
1 cup Thickened Cream
1 cup Milk
2 tsp Vanilla extract
For Strawberry Cream
1/4 cup Strawberry Crush or Jam
1 1/2 cup Whipped cream
1 cup Strawberry (chopped, optional)
Icing sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Sieve self raising flour, sugar and a pinch of salt and keep aside in a big bowl.
- Mix thickened cream, milk and vanilla extract in a bowl. Pour this into the dry ingredients and mix using a flat spatula to combine everything together.
- Put this dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth. Don't over knead it.
- Preheat the oven at 190 degree Celsius.
- Pat the dough into a 2.5 cm thick round. Using a 5 cm scone cutter or a normal round cutter, cut out the scones from the dough. Place them on a greased baking tray.
- Place the baking tray in the preheated oven for about 12 to 15 minutes or till the top turns golden brown colour.
- Once done, take out from the oven and cover the tray with a clean towel for 10 minutes.
- In the mean time, prepare the strawberry cream by adding the strawberry crush or jam into the whipped cream. Beat well using an electric hand beater or using a wire whisk until stiff peaks.
- Add strawberries if required at this stage. Gently fold using a spatula. Keep aside.
- After 10 minutes, take the scones and split them into half. Put some strawberry cream filling on one half and cover with the other half. Another small scoop of strawberry cream on top with little strawberry crush. Sprinkle little icing sugar....
- Enjoy these yummy and tasty scones.
Thanks for visiting