I was not in a mood to prepare the normal rice, curry and sabji for lunch on the new year day. I was badly in a mood to eat something different. Even my kids too.. Searched in fridge and couldn't find anything different with which I can try out a new dish.
Thought to make a biryani, but didn't have chicken, fish or mutton. Then I thought about the eggs which I had in my fridge....Why not try out Egg biryani... Searched the net and found many recipes, but couldn't find an easy one... I like to do my cooking with easy recipes and still tastes best ;) Then I saw this recipe....but Dum Biryani... oh no...its again going to be a difficult recipe... When I saw the complete process, I found it different yet an easy one.. That's how I ended up making this Egg Dum Biryani... It tasted awesome...all the flavor intact and a perfect biryani... We enjoyed our New Year lunch and marked a good beginning for the rest of the year :)
I would say that you must try this recipe.... Its super simple and tastes really excellent.
8 Eggs (boiled and cut into half)
2 cups Basmati Rice (parboiled)
2 Onion (finely chopped)
2 Tomatoes (finely chopped)
Few Coriander leaves
Few Mint leaves
2 tbsp. Ginger garlic paste
1 Bay leaf
1 - 2 Cinnamon sticks
2 Black Cardamom
2 Green Cardamom
1/2 tsp Shah Jeera
1 tbsp. Coriander powder
1 tsp Green Cardamom powder
2 tsp Kashmiri Red chilli powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 - 3 Green chilli (slit into half)
1 inch Ginger (thinly sliced)
2 Onion (thinly sliced and deep fried)
Saffron (soaked in water, optional)
2 tbsp. Oil
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed deep non stick pan. Add bay leaf, cinnamon sticks, black cardamom, cloves, green cardamom and shah jeera.
- Add onion and saute till it changes into a light brown colour.
- Now add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder and coriander powder. Saute for about 1 - 2 minutes.
- Now add tomatoes and salt. Mix well, cover and let it cook till the oil leaves the masala.
- Once done, add green chillies, sliced ginger, half of the coriander leaves and mint leaves. Mix well.
- Now add the boiled eggs in it. Gently mix and let it simmer for 2 - 3 minutes. If you feel that the masala is very thick, add little water in it.
- Later, add the parboiled rice on top of the egg masala mixture. Don't mix. Add saffron water (if adding), green cardamom powder, deep fried onion, rest of the coriander leaves and mint leaves, little salt.
- Take the pan off from the flame and place a tawa on medium heat.
- Take an aluminium foil and cover the top of the pan. Place the lid of the pan on top of the aluminium foil.
- Place the pan on the hot tawa and reduce the flame to low. After 25 minutes or when you see steam coming from the sides of the lid, take off from heat.
- Serve the Egg Dum Biryani hot with any raita or pickle of your choice.
* I usually take the quantity of the ingredients as per my taste. So you can always adjust the spices as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting