This is one of the Kerala traditional Kheer served in any Sadhya (big feast). Some people make the ada on their own, to use it in the payasam/kheer. But now a days, we get them in packets (checkout in any kerala stores). So, no worries of making these ada.
The main highlight of this kheer is that it looks cream in colour. It can be attained by continuous cooking, stirring and takes lot of time. Here, i am giving you an easy method to get that same colour (without any food colour) without compromising on the taste... My mom in law taught me this procedure and the kheer definitely tastes 'The Best'.
100 gms Ada (i used packet)
1 and ½ liter Milk
300 gms Sugar (adjust as per your taste)
4 - 5 tbsp Condensed Milk (optional)
½ liter Boiled water
For frying (optional)
10 Cashew nuts
2 tbsp Ghee
- Put ada in boiled water. Cover and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Drain and wash the ada under running water for about 2 to 3 times. Keep this aside.
- Boil milk in a big non stick pan. When it boils, switch off the flame and add the washed ada in it. Mix well.
- Boil again for 3 minutes. Keep stirring continuously.
- Pour this milk and ada mixture into a bowl (that can be fitted inside a pressure cooker).
- Pour about 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and place the bowl (with milk and ada mixture) inside the pressure cooker.
- Cover the lid with whistle and switch on the flame.
- Keep on high flame. Before it whistles, keep it in low flame for about 20 - 25 minutes. Make sure that the cooker doesn't whistle.
- After 20 minutes, switch off the flame and when all the pressure is gone from the pressure cooker, take off the lid. Mix well. You can see that it has turned into a cream colour. If not, keep it again in the cooker for another 20 minutes.
- Pour it into the big non stick pan and add sugar and condensed milk into it. Mix well.
- Let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Keep stirring.
- When the sugar is completely dissolved and the payasam/Kheer becomes slightly thick and creamy in colour, switch off the flame. Keep the payasam aside.
- In a fry pan, add ghee, cashew nuts and raisins.
- Saute till the cashew nuts and raisins turn golden brown colour. Pour it on the Pal Ada Pradhaman.
- Mix well and serve it hot or cold.
Thanks for visiting