This is a traditional Kerala dish which is served in any Sadhya (big feast). It is prepared with yam and Raw Plantain. A thick gravy dish which goes well with steamed rice. The stir fried coconut added to the last, gives a good taste to the entire dish.
As usual, i got this recipe from my mom-in-law. She makes it very tasty. We had this in our Onam Sadhya. Try it out and you will come to know, how it tastes..
1/3 cup Chana Dal
1 cup Water
1 Raw Plantain/Pachakkaya (medium sized)
1 cup Yam/Chena
Salt to taste
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
¼ tsp Red chilli powder
½ cup Coconut (freshly grated)
1 pinch Cumin seed/Jeera
4 Black Peppercorns
5 – 6 tbsp Coconut Oil
1 cup Coconut (freshly grated, for frying)
½ tsp Mustard seeds
3 – 4 Dry Red Chilli (broken)
10 – 20 Curry leaves
- Cut raw plantain and yam into 1 inch square sized pieces. Keep this aside.
- Wash chana dal and put it in a pressure cooker along with water. Let it cook till 4 whistles.
- When the pressure cooker cool down and all the pressure is gone, take off the lid.
- Add chopped yam, raw plantain, turmeric powder, salt and red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and cook again till 2 whistles.
- Let the cooker cool down till all the pressure is gone.
- In the meantime, grind coconut, black peppercorns and cumin seed along with little water into a fine paste. Keep this aside.
- Uncover the pressure cooker and cook again in medium heat till the gravy thickens.
- Now add the ground coconut mixture into it and mix well.
- Let it cook for about 3 minutes, till everything is combined properly.
- Once done, take off from heat and keep this aside.
- In a non stick fry pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds. When it crackles, add curry leaves and dry red chillies.
- Later add the grated coconut. Stir fry till the coconut turns brown colour.
- Put this mixture on to the Koottu Curry. Give a quick mix.
- Serve it with steamed rice.
* I usually take the quantity of the ingredients as per my taste. So you can always adjust the spices as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting