I was attracted to the caterpillar shape of these buns, that i was so eager to try it at least once. The bun tasted awesome as usual with the nutella in it. The shape of the bun was the main attraction. My kids were amazed to see it and enjoyed eating it. Its true that i couldn't get the exact shape of caterpillar, but was satisfied with my first attempt.
More than the caterpillar shape, i liked the texture when it was cut into pieces. The nutella which was seen from the inside of the bun pieces gave a nice pattern to it. I loved it very much.
If you are not a nutella fan, you can replace it with any jam of your choice. This is a good treat for kids. They will love it.
I wanted to take the step by step pictures, but forgot about it 'as i was fully engrossed in making it right'. So i will try to explain it in words. If you find difficulty in understanding any particular step, please put in a comment so that i can help you further. So here goes the recipe........
2 cups Maida/All purpose flour
1 tsp Instant Yeast
3/4 cup Milk
8 gm Sugar
2 gm Salt
Butter as required
Nutella or Jam as required
- In a bowl, add maida and yeast. Mix well.
- Add egg and give a quick mix. Then add salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Now add milk, little by little and knead it to get a sticky dough.
- Knead it for about 10 minutes. Later add 2 - 3 tsp butter.
- Knead it again for 10 minutes, till it becomes a soft and smooth dough.
- Cover it with a towel and keep it in a warm area in your kitchen.
- Once it is doubled, knead once again using your hands for about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Cut the dough into half and roll one half, just like you roll for chappati. Keep the other half covered.
- Roll it into a rectangular shape. Cut one side (longer side) lengthwise into 1 inch thick strips.
- Spread nutella or jam on the other side. (spread as much as you want)
- Fold the side on which we have spread the nutella inwards, till you reach the slits.
- Place the slitted strips on top of the folded bun and bend it a little.
- Insert two cloves on one end (to represent the eyes of the caterpillar).
- Place it on the baking tray, cover it and let it rest for about 30 minutes or till it becomes double in size.
- Pre heat oven in convection mode at 175 degree Celsius.
- Once it is doubled, give an egg wash on top of it and place it in the preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Once done, take off from the oven and let it cool.
- Serve and Enjoy!!
- If you are using dry yeast, put them in little luke warm water and add little sugar, keep aside for sometime and then add it to the dry ingredients.
- Replace maida with whole wheat flour for a healthier version.
Thanks for visiting