This is a Gujarati dish, served either as a breakfast or as a snack. This dish is very healthy and tasty too. They are steamed dumplings with vegetables in it.
I have made some slight changes and so this is not the traditional ones. The muthias which i have made here is with bottle gourd. If you wish, you can add carrot, radish, onions and coriander leaves to it. Muthias can be made with fenugreek leaves also. Normally, gram flour is added in the recipe. But instead of gram flour, i added a bit of oats.
This is definitely a low fat snack, so you can have it at any time. Try this version of muthias and i am sure you will love this one too.
1 and 1/2 cup Bottle gourd
1/4 cup Whole wheat flour
2 - 3 tbsp Oats
1 - 2 tbsp Yogurt/Curd
1/2 tsp Cumin seed
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 pinch Asafoetida
Salt to taste
2 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Sesame seeds
10 Curry leaves
2 - 3 Red chilli
- Grate bottle gourd using a grater and squeeze out the water from it. Don't discard the water. Keep it aside.
- Put the grated bottle gourd in a bowl. Add whole wheat flour, oats, turmeric powder, yogurt, 1 tsp oil, cumin seed and salt. Mix well and make a soft sticky dough. Add the squeezed out water from the bottle gourd if needed.
- Divide the dough into small portions and roll them into cylindrical shape.
- Place them on a steamer and steam them for about 15 - 20 minutes, till they are nicely cooked. Insert a toothpick to check whether it is cooked or not.
- Once done, transfer them on a plate and keep aside to cool.
- Cut them into small roundels.
- Heat the remaining oil in a non stick pan. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter add sesame seeds, red chilli, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the cut muthias into the pan and mix well. Let it simmer for some time till the muthias slightly change its colour.
- Serve it hot.
* I usually take the quantity of the ingredients as per my taste. So you can always adjust the spices as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting