This is a Middle Eastern deep fried ball or patty made using chickpeas or garbanzo beans. It is said to be originated in Egypt.
These are usually served in a pita bread topped with salads, sauces and tahini sauce. They can be enjoyed just like that with any sauce of your choice. As you all know, chickpeas is high in protein, soluble fiber, lot of nutrients and complex carbohydrates.
Falafel is actually deep fried, but you can bake them too, to reduce the high fat content due to frying.
This is a simple recipe with ingredients easily available at your home. If you don't have parsley, you can omit it. Still the falafel will taste yummy.
It is crispy outside and soft inside. A must try snack that you all will love.
1 cup Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans
1/4 cup Maida/All purpose flour
2 tbsp Coriander leaves
2 tbsp Parsley
1 - 2 Green Chilli
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Chilli flakes
Salt to taste
1 inch piece of Ginger
- Soak chickpeas overnight and pressure cook them till it is soft and nicely cooked.
- In a blender or food processor, add cooked chickpeas, maida, coriander leaves, parsley, green chilli, cumin seeds, chilli flakes, ginger and salt.
- Blend it till everything is combined properly. If needed add little water so that you can make balls out of it.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Make small balls of the mixture and put them in the hot oil. Keep in low flame.
- When the balls turn brown colour, transfer them into a tissue paper.
- Serve it just like that or use them in sandwich.
- Enjoy them hot...
* I usually take the quantity of the ingredients as per my taste. So you can always adjust the spices as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting