|A bread loaf with one coat of egg wash and sesame seeds on top|
|Another bread loaf with 2 coats of egg wash (so, dark golden brown colour)|
This is my first ever bread that i baked. I was reluctant to try baking a bread. Thought it to be a lengthy process and was afraid whether it would turn out good or not. I always wanted to make a healthy version of bread whenever i try it for the first time and that's how i came up with this whole wheat bread recipe.
As the name suggests, it is WHOLE WHEAT bread, no maida or all purpose flour in it. Very simple and easy recipe with the ingredients easily available at your home. The same recipe can be replaced with half quantity of whole wheat flour and half quantity of maida/all purpose flour or in the ratio you wish. Its for sure that when you use maida/all purpose flour in this recipe, the texture will turn out to be good, But by baking bread using this recipe, which is for sure healthy, i have tried to give 99.9% good texture to the bread......Definitely not compromising on that factor.
|Getting blissed in the evening sun|
You will have to give a bit of exercise to your hands. If you are ready for that, then read further, or else switch on to my other recipes ;)
Still reading further............good......
I am sure all my friends are ready for the exercise, isn't it? :)
When you bake this bread, the fresh aroma of the bread will fill your house that you will feel very much refreshed and relaxed. I can't really explain how i felt when the bread was baking in my oven. You should give it a try and you will come to know by yourself. Mark my word, friends...its easy, simple, tasty and healthy too.
I am writing this recipe for 2 medium sized loafs of bread. If you want to make more, take double the quantity of the ingredients.
Points to remember:
- If you are using instant yeast, add it directly to the dry ingredients as i have done. But if you are using any other yeast, add it in little water, keep aside for sometime and then add it to the dry ingredients.
- By using instant yeast, the rising process is faster than the other yeasts.
- If you are giving an egg wash (brushing egg yolk) on the top of the loafs, it will give a golden brown colour on the top of the loafs.
So....after all those lecturing..........here goes the wonderful recipe.....
2 1/2 cup Whole wheat flour/Atta
1/2 tbsp Yeast (i used instant yeast, you can use any type of yeast)
1 tbsp Honey (instead, you can add sugar)
1 tsp Salt
Sesame seeds (optional)
1 Egg yolk (optional)
1/8 cup or 2 to 3 tbsp Olive oil
1 cup Water (warm)
- Take a big bowl and put 1 and 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour.
- Add salt, yeast, honey, olive oil and water. Mix well.
- Now add the rest of the whole wheat flour. Mix well and transfer it on to the kitchen table or a big plate where you can knead with your hands and make a smooth dough.
- Knead the mixture for approximately 10 - 12 minutes, till everything is combined properly and the dough has become soft and smooth. (this is what i was talking about the exercise for your hands)
- If you think that the dough is sticking, add little bit of flour on the table top and knead again.
- Once the dough is kneaded properly transfer it to the bowl by rubbing little olive oil all over the dough.
- Cover it with a towel and keep it in a warm area in your kitchen.
- Keep this aside for 1 to 2 hours or till the dough gets doubled. (as i used instant yeast, the dough doubled in approximately 1 hour)
- Once it is doubled, knead once again using your hands for about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Cut it into half and knead well each one of them and make it into a smooth dough.
- If you have a bread shaped baking tray, grease it and place the dough on it.
- If you don't have one (like me), place them on the greased tray that you have, side by side. (as shown in the pic).
- Brush some olive oil on top of both the loafs, put some sesame seeds (optional) and cover it with a towel. Keep this aside again for an hour. It will again rise.
- Once it is risen, brush the top of each loafs with the egg yolk. But it is optional.
- Place it in a microwave oven - convection mode - 200 degree Celsius for 25 to 30 minutes.
- When the bread loafs are cooked and the top of it turns its colour, take off from the oven and leave it aside for cooling.
- After some time, transfer it on a wire rack and let it cool for sometime.
- Cut it into slices and serve.
Guys.....hope you have a good time baking this wonderful healthy bread... Don't forget to put in you comments and feed backs.
|Coated with olive oil after kneading the dough|
|Kept the dough covered using a towel|
|Bread dough after 10 minutes|
|Bread dough after 1/2 an hour|
|Bread dough at 1 hour|
|Kneaded the risen dough, cut it into half, kneaded them again and kept them in the baking tray|
|Kept the bread dough covered and after 1 hour it is risen as the picture shown above.|
|The baked bread loafs - right from the oven.|
|See the texture of the bread slices !!!|
Thanks for visiting