Nan Khatai is an egg less biscuit which is light and crispy. It is actually made with maida/all purpose flour. But i have changed the recipe a bit, by using 1/2 quantity of whole wheat flour and 1/2 quantity of maida. Added cashew nut powder to give it a healthy twist.
The texture will be definitely different from the traditional Nan Khatais. But this one also tasted extremely good. Just like a store bought biscuit. Try it at home and your kids would definitely love it.
1/2 cup Whole wheat flour/Atta
1/2 cup All purpose flour/Maida
1/3 cup Sugar
1 tbsp Rava/sooji/semolina
1 tbsp Gram flour/Besan
1/4 cup Cashew nuts (powdered)
1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
1/2 tsp Nutmeg powder
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (in room temperature, not melted)
2 tbsp Warm milk
- Take a large bowl, put whole wheat flour, maida, sugar, rava, besan, cashew nut powder, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder. Mix well.
- Now add butter and mix well using your hand.
- If you are not able to make a soft dough out of it, add 1 tbsp milk at a time. Mix well.
- Add more milk if needed to make a soft dough.
- Take a small lemon sized dough and roll between your palms. Press slightly and place them on a greased baking tray.
- Pre heat microwave oven at 180 degree Celsius.
- Using a knife or a fork, press lightly on top of the biscuits to get a design on it.
- You can place some chopped almonds or cashew nuts on top of each biscuits.
- Place the baking tray in the oven for 10 minutes. Later, bring down the temperature to 110 degree Celsius and again bake for 15 minutes.
- Check in between whether the biscuits are cooked or not. When the bottom of the biscuits are light brown colour, turn them upside down and again place them in the oven at 180 degree Celsius for another 10 minutes.
- Take off from the oven and place them on a wire rack to cool.
- Serve them along with coffee or tea.
- You can store them in an airtight container for later use also.
* increase or decrease the quantity of the ingredients as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting
Linking this recipe with Celebrating First Anniversary-Give Away