Homemade Chocolate

Good News for people residing in Hyderabad......Click on "Homemade Chocolates & Cakes" (above) to know more.......Do join my FB page ( https://www.facebook.com/Chocofantasy) to get new updates.


Thursday 3 January 2013

Appam (Steamed Rice Cake)


This is my 200th post and i am posting a traditional sweet dish which my mother used to make for us when we were young. Whenever we visit my parents, my mother doesn't forget to make this dish as my daughter is also a great fan of this dish.





I had never tried this recipe, even though i have ate them n number of times when my mother made. Recently, my daughter was after me...asking me to make this appam. That's how i tried this recipe and it turned out good. But for sure...not as tasty as my mother makes them.... :)





Ingredients

1 cup Raw Rice (soaked for approx. 10 hours)
1/4 tsp Cumin seed
1/2 tsp Yeast
1 cup Coconut (freshly grated)
1 tbsp Rava/Sooji/Semolina
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
A pinch of Salt


Method

  • Soak the raw rice at around 6 o'clock in the morning. Grind it at 5 o' clock in the evening along with water, cumin seed, yeast, sugar and salt into a smooth batter. Slightly thicker than the dosa batter and thinner than the idli batter.
  • Add coconut to the batter and grind coarsely. Transfer the batter into a bowl and mix cardamom powder in it. Mix well.
  • Pour little water in the mixie jar and blend once and pour it in a non stick pan. Add rava in it and mix well, so that no lumps are formed.
  • Place it on low flame. Keep stirring till it becomes thick and the rava is cooked.
  • Take it off from heat and let it cool.
  • Once cooled, mix it with the appam batter which we had prepared earlier. Mix well, so that no lumps are formed.
  • Keep the appam batter in room temperature till next day morning.
  • In the morning, mix the batter nicely and pour it in a greased steel plate.
  • Place it in an idli steamer and let it cook. Once cooked completely, take off from the steamer and let it aside to cool.
  • Once cooled, de-mould it from the steel plate, cut and serve.










* increase or decrease the quantity of the ingredients as per your taste*



Thanks for visiting
Happy Cooking!!




Linking this recipe with Celebrating First Anniversary Give Away




No comments:

Post a Comment