Khoya is a milk product made by heating milk in a pan, stirring continuously and thickening it.
Some days back, i saw the Khoya / Mawa packet in a store nearby. I have not seen it in that store previously, so i bought it and tried this recipe. It tasted really great, but became chewy. I think i had overcooked the mixture, so it became chewy. But taste was awesome. A must try sweet dish...
The tip that i can give you about this recipe is that you should remove it from heat when the mixture thickens and still little moisture is left in it. While setting in the plate, it will become more thick. So keep that in mind when you make this recipe.
Next time when i buy khoya, i will try this recipe again and try to make it perfect.
|Peda / Khoya Burfi|
2 cups Khoya/Mawa
1 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Milk
1/4 tsp Saffron
1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
1 tbsp Ghee
- Heat a non stick pan on medium. Put khoya and sugar together and mix thoroughly till the sugar is dissolved and everything gets combined.
- Make sure that the mixture doesn't get burned. So stir continuously.
- In the mean time, take a plate and line it with aluminium foil and grease it with some ghee. Keep this aside.
- In a micro safe bowl, pour milk, add saffron and put in microwave mode for 20 seconds.
- When the mixture in the non stick pan becomes soft and the sugar gets completely dissolved, add the saffron milk to it.
- Mix well and fry it till all the moisture evaporates.
- Add 3 to 4 tsp of ghee to it and mix well.
- Cook till it becomes thick. Take it off from heat and add cardamom powder.
- Don't cook it for long as it turns its colour and becomes chewy.
- Mix well and transfer it to the aluminium foil plate which you had kept aside.
- Spread nicely and keep aside to cool.
- Once it is cooled, cut it with a knife in any desired shape and serve it.
- You can garnish with some chopped pista or almond.
|Sugar dissolved with Khoya|
|Moisture getting evaporated|
|Added saffron milk|
|Transferred the peda into a plate with aluminium foil|
|Cut into diamond shape once it is cooled and set|
Thanks for visiting