I usually make Rawa Idli's by using MTR Instant Rawa Idli mix. It tastes very nice. But recently, it came to my mind, why cant i make it from scratch by myself. I searched internet, but was not satisfied. Recently, i was checking one of my blog friend's recipe list and came across the recipe. When i went through the details, i felt its easy and why not give it a try. I ended up making it and yeh...it definetly tasted much better than the instant rawa idli mix which i used to make.
I forward my thanks to my blog friend Raksha for sharing it in her blog.
So here is the recipe for you all. As per the original recipe, i thinly sliced the onion, but i feel that the onions should be finely chopped, which would give a better texture to the idlis. Give it a try and you will stop buying the instant rawa idli mix from the shop.
Made some mini rawa idlis too for my daughters...They loved it....
|Mini Rawa Idli|
Rawa or Sooji - 1 cup
Curd - 1 and 1/2 cup
Carrot (grated) - 1/2 cup
Capsicum (finely chopped) - 1/2 cup
Onion (finely chopped) - 1 medium
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 10 to 15 nos
Split urad dal - 1 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves - 3 tbsp
- Dry roast rawa till it slightly changes its colour and gives a nice aroma.
- Mix roasted rawa/sooji, curd, salt and baking soda in a bowl and keep this aside. It should have the consistancy of a normal idli batter.
- Heat oil in a kadai and put mustard seeds in it. When it starts to splutter, add split urad dal and curry leaves.
- After sometime, add onions, salt and fry till translucent. Then add carrot and capsicum.
- Let it cook for sometime. Now add coriander leaves and take it off from heat.
- After cooling for sometime, add it into the batter mix. Stir nicely.
- Pour it into the idli mould and steam it for about 10 to 15 minutes, till it is nicely set.
- Take it off from heat, unmould and serve it hot with coconut chutney.
You can check here for the original recipe: http://rakshaskitchen.blogspot.com/2012/03/instant-rawa-idlis.html
Thanks for visiting