Bisi Bele Bath is a rice dish which originated in Karnataka. Bisi Bele Bath means hot lentil rice in kannada language. This is a healthy preparation in which lots of vegetables and lentils are added. It is served with papads, potato chips or salads.
Many spices are added, so as to give a nice flavour and aroma. It is actually a long process to make this dish, but i have tried to make it easy.
1 cup Basmati rice
1 cup Toor dal
1 tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 Carrots (sliced into 1 inch long pieces)
5 to 10 French beans (sliced into 1 inch long pieces)
1 Potato (cut into 1 inch long slices)
1/4 Cauliflower ( cut into small florets)
3 tbsp Coriander seeds
10 to 15 Curry leaves
2 tbsp Chana dal
2 tbsp Urad dal
1/4 tsp Methi seeds
2 tbsp Coconut (grated)
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 pinch Asafoetida
2 Dry Red chilli
1 inch Cinamon stick
1 tsp jeera/ Cumin seed
3 Green cardamom
10 to 12 Black pepper
3 Bay leaves
1 small lemon sized Tamrind (soak it and extact the pulp)
5 tbsp Ghee
1 tbsp Sesame oil
Water as required
Coriander leaves for garnish
- Wash rice and toor dal. Pressure cook it with turmeric powder and salt till it is cooked throughly. Take it off from heat and mash it well. Keep this aside.
- Steam the vegetables till it is cooked.
- Heat ghee in a non stick pan. Fry coriander seeds, chana dal, urad dal, methi seed, dry red chilli, cinamon stick, clove, jeera, green cardamom, black pepper, bay leaves. Transfer this spice mixture into a mixie jar.
- Fry grated coconut also in the same ghee. When it slightly changes colour, transfer it into the mixie jar.
- Grind the coconut and the spice mixture into a fine paste by adding the tamarind pulp and water if needed.
- Fry the steamed vegetables in little ghee. Pour little (about 3 tbsp) ground paste on the fried vegetables and mix well. Keep this aside.
- In a deep non stick pan, add sesame oil and put mustard seeds. When it splutters, add dry red chilli, curry leaves, urad dal and asafoetida.
- Now add the ground mixture into it. Mix well and let it cook for sometime.
- After sometime, add the rice and dal mixture. Add water as required. Mix well.
- Now add the vegetables and mix well. Adjust the salt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot by pouring little ghee on top.
|Cooked rice and dal mixture|
|Fried dals, coconut etc.|
|Steamed vegetables ready to be fried|
|Bisi Bele Bath|
Thanks for visiting